Sunday 29 March 2020

Special Update 29/03/2020 Trump Just Took Over The Fed. China.


Baltic Dry Index. 556 -26   Brent Crude 24.93 Spot Gold 1628

Covid-19 cases 14/3/20 World 146,627 Deaths 5,461 (Maybe.)
Covid-19 cases 21/3/20 World 276,462 Deaths 11,417 (Maybe.)
Covid-19 cases 29/3/20 World 670,883 Deaths 31,072 (Maybe.)

For the elderly, Covid-19 is a killer.

Get gold and silver, ASAP!!! President Trump, just took over the Federal Reserve Bank. 
Echoes of Germany in the 30s under guess who.

China, the truth needed. China must be held to account. Look at the explosion of world cases and deaths.

Covid-19, the deadly reality for the elderly.

The Fed's Cure Risks Being Worse Than the Disease

Jim Bianco  Bloomberg March 27, 2020

(Bloomberg Opinion) -- The economic debate of the day centers on whether the cure of an economic shutdown is worse than the disease of the virus.  Similarly, we need to ask if the cure of the Federal Reserve getting so deeply into corporate bonds, asset-backed securities, commercial paper, and exchange-traded funds is worse than the disease seizing financial markets. It may be.

In just these past few weeks, the Fed has cut rates by 150 basis points to near zero and run through its entire 2008 crisis handbook. That wasn’t enough to calm markets, though — so the central bank also announced $1 trillion a day in repurchase agreements and unlimited quantitative easing, which includes a hard-to-understand $625 billion of bond buying a week going forward. At this rate, the Fed will own two-thirds of the Treasury market in a year.

But it’s the alphabet soup of new programs that deserve special consideration, as they could have profound long-term consequences for the functioning of the Fed and the allocation of capital in financial markets. Specifically, these are:

CPFF (Commercial Paper Funding Facility) – buying commercial paper from the issuer. PMCCF (Primary Market Corporate Credit Facility) – buying corporate bonds from the issuer. TALF (Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility) – funding backstop for asset-backed securities. SMCCF (Secondary Market Corporate Credit Facility) – buying corporate bonds and bond ETFs in the secondary market. MSBLP (Main Street Business Lending Program) – Details are to come, but it will lend to eligible small and medium-size businesses, complementing efforts by the Small Business Association.

To put it bluntly, the Fed isn’t allowed to do any of this. The central bank is only allowed to purchase or lend against securities that have government guarantee. This includes Treasury securities, agency mortgage-backed securities and the debt issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. An argument can be made that can also include municipal securities, but nothing in the laundry list above.

So how can they do this? The Fed will finance a special purpose vehicle (SPV) for each acronym to conduct these operations. The Treasury, using the Exchange Stabilization Fund, will make an equity investment in each SPV and be in a “first loss” position. What does this mean? In essence, the Treasury, not the Fed, is buying all these securities and backstopping of loans; the Fed is acting as banker and providing financing. The Fed hired BlackRock Inc. to purchase these securities and handle the administration of the SPVs on behalf of the owner, the Treasury.

In other words, the federal government is nationalizing large swaths of the financial markets. The Fed is providing the money to do it. BlackRock will be doing the trades.

This scheme essentially merges the Fed and Treasury into one organization. So, meet your new Fed chairman, Donald J. Trump.

In 2008 when something similar was done, it was on a smaller scale. Since few understood it, the Bush and Obama administrations ceded total control of those acronym programs to then-Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke. He unwound them at the first available opportunity. But now, 12 years later, we have a much better understanding of how they work. And we have a president who has made it very clear how displeased he is that central bankers haven’t used their considerable power to force the Dow Jones Industrial Average at least 10,000 points higher, something he has complained about many times before the pandemic hit.

When the Fed was rightly alarmed by the current dysfunction in the fixed-income markets, they felt they needed to act. This was the correct thought. But, to get the authority to stabilize these “private” markets, central bankers needed the Treasury to agree to nationalize (own) them so they could provide the funds to do it.

In effect, the Fed is giving the Treasury access to its printing press. This means that, in the extreme, the administration would be free to use its control, not the Fed’s control, of these SPVs to instruct the Fed to print more money so it could buy securities and hand out loans in an effort to ramp financial markets higher going into the election. Why stop there? Should Trump win re-election, he could try to use these SPVs to get those 10,000 Dow Jones points he feels the Fed has denied everyone.

Australian Reporter Rita Panahi Takes the WHO, Chinese Regime to Task Over Coronavirus Lies

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 1:15 PM
Australian reporter Rita Panahi slammed China's Communist Regime and the World Health Organization for their failures to prevent the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. China was so worried about making sure they weren't blamed for the virus that they did everything in their power to keep whistleblowers quiet. Instead of sounding the alarm about the Wuhan coronavirus, the WHO parroted the regime's talking points, saying the virus wasn't transmitted through person-to-person contact. The organization also failed to recommend travel bans to China.

"I want to talk about China's culpability and conduct throughout the coronavirus crisis that began in Wuhan wet market. The Chinese Communist regime not only lied, destroyed evidence and allowed the virus to spread, but it arrested doctors who, back in December, tried to warn the world about what was happening in Wuhan," she explained. "Some of the whistleblowers arrested and accused of fabricating, disseminating, and spreading rumors have since died. Other domestic critics, from a property tycoon to video bloggers have vanished."

"China is not a regime that tolerates dissent," Panahi explained. "China's initial cover-up included destroying lab samples that established, in December, the cause of unexplained viral infections in the Hubei province. How many lives would have been saved if China had listened to experts instead of silencing them?"

A study carried out by the University of South Hampton showed that China could have prevented 95 percent of Wuhan coronavirus infections "if it would have implemented tough measures just three weeks earlier." Instead of being proactive, the regime waited another month before taking action. 

"What's just as shocking is the World Health Organization's complicity in this global pandemic," she said. "From the start, the WHO has unequivocally praised China's response and pushed its absurd narratives while ignoring the regime's dishonesty and recklessness."

Panahi reminded viewers that back in January, the WHO shared a tweet citing Chinese health official's who claimed there was no evidence the virus transmitted through human-to-human contact. 

"[The WHO] refused to declare a pandemic until March 11th. And, as late as February, it was parroting China in criticizing travel restrictions," she said. "Don't forget that when Scott Morrison and Donald Trump implemented travel bans against China in late January, they did so against WHO's advice."

Both China and the WHO deserve to be held accountable for this pandemic. They could have kept the Wuhan coronavirus from spreading around the world had they admitted the virus began in China and was being transmitted through human-to-human contact. Instead of giving other countries the heads up so they could prepare or make decisions to protect their citizens, China was radio silent and they punished those who spoke out.

Instead of calling it the World Health Organization, we should call it the Chinese Health Organization. At the end of the day, the organization is only concerned about how the Chinese regime looks to the rest of the world. 

Finally, the brutal reality of Covid-19 for the lucky/unlucky elderly. US Covid-19 chaos.

I Survived Covid-19. I Never Thought Rejoining Society Would Be So Hard

By Xiao Hui and Matthew Walsh Mar 26, 2020 08:21 PM

The onset
On Jan. 18, I went to a crowded exhibition at a Wuhan bookstore. I started feeling sick that night: I had a low fever, felt listless, and had sore muscles.

The following day, I went to the hospital. Doctors told me that many patients had fevers like mine and that I should stay home, rest, and take the medicine they gave me.

Within a few days, my fever was joined by an upset stomach and wheezing. On Jan. 22, I went back to the hospital. It was completely crammed: I waited from the late afternoon until midnight before I finally saw a doctor, who immediately told me there were no beds. As I got home that night, the authorities implemented a citywide lockdown of Wuhan.

By Jan. 26, I was feeling terrible. There were no cars available, so I walked slowly back to the hospital, where a CT scan showed I had an infection in both lungs with white patches that looked like ground-up glass — one of the hallmarks of Covid-19. That’s when I realized I had the disease, but again I was informed that the hospital was already full.

Knowing I might never recover without immediate hospitalization, I frantically called anyone I knew with medical connections. A friend told me that another hospital was about to open a new ward to deal with the surge in patients. I rushed over there and was lucky enough to get a bed in the intensive care unit. The ward was completely full, and the facilities were extremely basic.

Within a few days of being admitted into the ICU, I watched the elderly man in the bed next to mine die. In the early hours of Jan. 29, I suddenly smelled something foul and turned to see him lying rigid and shuddering. He was fighting so hard to breathe that he had lost continence. Although I rang the bell for a doctor, nobody came. I could only hold his hand and speak to him as he slipped away. He must have been so lonely without his family beside him.

I stayed in the ICU for eight days. During that time, I think eight patients there died.

A brush with death

By my second day in the ICU, I was running a fever of 38 degrees Celsius, had a terrible stomach, and, worst of all, felt constantly winded.

I got along well with the ward’s medical staff. I enjoyed chatting to the doctors about my condition, and kept thanking them and telling them how well they were doing. Nobody knows exactly how to treat this emerging disease, so I felt it was important to praise the doctors and nurses and raise their confidence.

I didn’t have much of an appetite for the first few days, but I forced myself to eat, knowing it was important for my recovery. In fact, my overeating and lack of exercise created a different problem.

Before the epidemic, I had been told I have an impaired sugar tolerance — my doctors say it’s an early sign of diabetes. One night, I suddenly felt fiercely itchy all over. I scratched and scratched until I drew blood, but couldn’t subdue the itch. After about an hour, I fell back exhausted. I was cold, especially in my chest, which felt like ice. My whole body felt empty, as if I was floating away. The sensation was one of total absolution as death drew near.

After a period of confusion, I suddenly wondered if what I was experiencing was something called ketoacidosis, which can occur in people with diabetes and pre-diabetes when your insulin levels drop and your body starts burning fat as fuel. Two things happen: your blood sugar levels spike, and acidic substances are released into your blood.

I forced myself upright and downed a cup of water. With no doctors around, I staggered to where they kept some supplies and tested my blood sugar. The reading was 28.9. My normal level is about 6.

Knowing I had to rapidly bring down my blood sugar level, I injected myself with several doses of insulin from the supply station. Then I drank some more water and returned to bed. Gradually, I began to feel better. In the morning, when a doctor next came to the ward, I told him what had happened and asked him to measure my blood sugar again: 8.9. The doctor said I’d probably saved my own life.

After eight days in the ICU, my pneumonia symptoms subsided and my nucleic acid test (NAT) came back negative. I was finally transferred to the isolation ward.

A few of my friends weren’t so lucky. As far as I know, at least five people in my amateur photography group have died since the outbreak started.

A long road to recovery

After returning four more negative NATs in the isolation ward, I finally left the hospital on Feb. 14. I was looking forward to getting back to normal; I didn’t think I’d end up feeling even more alone.

One of the many things we don’t know about Covid-19 is whether it leaves people with lifelong ailments. I’m now about 18 kilograms lighter than when I went into the hospital, can’t breathe as freely as before, and often feel as though my windpipe and throat are blocked. We also don’t know if people who have recovered from the disease can catch it again.

After leaving the hospital, I spent 14 days quarantining at a hotel. I had to be very careful about coming home. I didn’t want to infect my wife, who has longstanding respiratory problems. Since I returned, we’ve confined ourselves to separate rooms and worn masks around the house.

This disease tests your spirit as much as your body, because it forces you to stay apart from others. I particularly miss my dear little sister, who would often call round at our house. Since the epidemic started, I haven’t seen or spoken to her once. Perhaps she thinks it would be unlucky to contact me now.

People outside the family shun recovered patients like me as well. Before I got sick, I was enjoying a full and happy retirement. On the social messaging app WeChat, I was a keen member of group chats for photography, swimming, cycling, and outdoor climbing. Now, those chats are silent.

All of this makes me very sad. The people I’m fondest of have effectively isolated me, leaving me with nobody to speak to. When I do communicate with others, I can see by their words and actions that they don’t want to be there. Everyone seems to think I pose a risk to their health, so in that sense, my recovery has only been temporary.

In the month since I got out of the hospital, I’ve briefly left the house four times — to charge my electric scooter, get a health code, collect some food, and collect medicine from the hospital. Each time, the people I’ve dealt with — neighbors, community volunteers, hospital staff — have recoiled from me or barked at me to stand farther away from them. I feel like a plague victim.

All my life, I’ve loved being around other people. Since retiring, my life has been rich in group activities. But until society is ready to accept me again, I won’t be attending events with lots of people. I don’t want to make them feel uneasy.

I’m looking forward to going back out with my camera after Wuhan lifts its lockdown. But I’ll be doing it alone.
Contact reporter Matthew Walsh (matthewwalsh@caixin.com)

Thailand reports 143 new coronavirus cases and one death

March 29, 2020 / 6:03 AM
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has 143 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total of cases since the outbreak to 1,388, the spokesman of the government’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Sunday, giving the latest daily update.

The country also recorded one new fatality, bringing the total of death since the outbreak to 7.

The latest victim was a 68-year-old man from Nonthaburi province who had attended a crowded boxing match in Bangkok where there had been a cluster of infections, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, the CCSA spokesman said.
More

Two more Australians die after contracting coronavirus, bringing national death toll to 16

29 March 2020
The number of Australian people who have died after contracting COVID-19 has now reached 16, following the death of two more people overnight. 

A man aged in his 80s died of coronavirus in hospital, taking Victoria's death toll to four.

There have been 84 new cases confirmed overnight, bringing Victoria's total to 769. Most cases are in metropolitan Melbourne.

The cases include 419 men and 346 women, aged from three to 88.

There are 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Victoria that may be through community transmission, the health department said.

More than 39,000 Victorians have been tested and 193 people in the state have recovered from coronavirus.

"If you can stay at home, you must stay at home. This is the only way we are going to defeat COVID-19. It is the only way we are going to slow down the spread," Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said.

In Queensland, a 75-year-old woman who had been a passenger on the Ruby Princess cruise ship that docked in Sydney has died, taking the state's toll to two.

The woman, who died in a Caboolture Hospital, was a passenger on the Ruby Princess cruise ship, says Queensland Chief Medical Officer Jeannette Young.
More

Singapore reports third coronavirus-related death

March 29, 2020 / 6:13 AM
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore reported its third coronavirus death on Sunday, a day after the city-state’s total infections topped 800.

The health ministry said the patient, a 70-year-old male Singaporean, had been in intensive care for 27 days before he passed and that he had some pre-existing conditions.

Singapore’s other two fatalaties related to the disease came just over a week ago and were also elderly with underlying conditions.

Trump drops idea of New York lockdown as U.S. death count crosses 2,000

March 28, 2020 / 11:42 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he would issue a travel warning for the hard-hit New York area to limit the spread of the coronavirus, backing off from an earlier suggestion that he might try to cut off the region entirely.

“A quarantine will not be necessary,” he said on Twitter.

Trump’s announcement came as the U.S. death count crossed 2,100, more than double the level from two days ago. The United States has now recorded more than 122,000 cases of the respiratory virus, the most of any country in the world.
More


This weekend’s musical diversion.  Boccherini sets the Covid-19 pandemic to music, and he’d never heard of viruses, let alone Covid-19.

Luigi Boccherini / Luciano Berio: Ritirata notturna di Madrid (1975)


The monthly Coppock Indicators finished February

DJIA: 25,409 -75 Down. NASDAQ: 8,567 +171 Up. SP500: 2,954 +133 Up.

A mixed bag. But given the severity of the still growing coronavirus crisis, I wouldn’t follow technical signals in what I think will turn into the first depression since the 1930s. Barring a miracle recovery in all three markets, the monthly Coppock indicators are heading for a reversal.

No comments:

Post a Comment